Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Gloves and Flip-Flops

For the most part, I have given up dressing Sparkle. Instead I try to direct her selections by controlling what is in her wardrobe. Thankfully she likes dresses, so I don't have to deal with mis-matched tops and bottoms very often. For the rest of what she wears, it's a different story.

Sparkle has never been big on coats. Fortunately we live in a warm climate, so coats are rarely necessary. However, it does get chilly enough this these mornings that most people wear a jacket of some sort when outside. Not Sparkle. I've given up on making her wear a coat, but instituted a new rule. Once she's been informed of the temperature, she can make her own coat-wearing decision. However, she may not complain about being cold or hot. So far this new policy has been working out fairly well. She usually forgoes the coat, even if Glitter and I are bundled up, and everyone is happy.

Sparkle also prefers bare feet, so when she must wear shoes, it's almost always flip-flops. On the few occasions when I insist on tennis shoes, she struggles with the shoes and often complains of hot or itchy feet. I do make her put her shoes on herself, as I've found that if I try to tie them, they are always too tight or too loose.

Then, recently gloves and mittens have taken Sparkle's fancy. She likes to play with them, inside or outside, with little regard for the temperature or what she needs to do with her hands. (For example, it's rather difficult to pick out notes on the keyboard when wearing mittens.)

So, this is a typical Sparkle outfit these days: long dress, flip-flops, and gloves. I tried to explain to her how the pieces don't really go together, but it seemed to go over her head.

No comments:

Post a Comment