Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Monday, January 19, 2009

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

I was planning on going to the library today to pick up some inter-library loans that came in last week. However, I forgot that it is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day today. Good thing that I checked the library web site before going.

So, a quick change of plans was in order. I looked up a brief one page biography online and printed it out. While I read it to Sparkle and Glitter, I helped Sparkle look up places on the map (Georgia, Tennessee, Washington DC) and events on the timeline (1929, 1968, Vietnam War). I also showed the "I Have a Dream" speech on YouTube. The first version that I found was too long for their attention spans (17+ minutes), but then I found a shorter excerpt that was only two minutes long. Finally, I had Sparkle do a narration about Martin Luther King, Jr. I wrote according to her dictation, and then Sparkle drew a picture of him giving a speech in front of lots of people.

We'll go to the library tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment