Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Monday Library and Gardens

Monday's are my regular library day. (Although it seems that recently I've been going to the library more frequently and on different days due to holiday closures and inter-library loans coming in.)

Sparkle and Glitter have run ahead to door of the library.


I have a cart to transport all the library books between the car and the library. When the cart is full, I know that I can't get any more books.


I let Sparkle get as many books as she likes from anywhere in the library. She usually picks out books based on the pictures, and not the text, so I also pick out books for her. I let Glitter pick out two board books for herself. This limit is a holdover from the limit I used to put on Sparkle, as I didn't want to keep track of too many books and board books are more durable. Those reasons don't apply anymore, but now the limit prevents Glitter from piling book after book in the cart.

After the library, I've started taking the girls to the botanical gardens that share a parking lot with the library. The idea is to get a bit of nature study in.

Here are the girls experience grass. This grass is much softer than the grass in our yard. It has very dense, think blades that stick straight up, instead of thick blades which grow sideways. The tips of the blades are also yellow where they were cut by the mower.




The fish pond is a favorite with both girls.



I tried having the girls draw a picture. Glitter was happy to scribble away. Sparkle had a tougher time because she gets frustrated when the picture doesn't turn out as she wants. However, when she is pleased with her work, she is ecstatic.


No comments:

Post a Comment