Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sewing Dresses

I spent the last several weeks sewing some dresses for Sparkle.

I already sewed together the bodice before I started taking pictures. I used the top portion of a patter for a pull-over dress. However, I didn't like the bottom of the dress, so I am using a different skirt. The bodice also is a bit too wide, so I added some ties. Hopefully the dress will fit for a long time.


This pile of fabric is strips of fabric sewn into circles to be made into a three tiered skirt.


I hand gathered the tiers of the skirt using a simple running stitch. Then I decided to hand baste the tiers of the skirt together before running them through the sewing machine. This method allowed me to pin and sew just a small portion at a time, and there are no pins to stop and deal with when using the sewing machine. Plus, I could do the hand sewing downstairs near Sparkle and Glitter. Sparkle even threaded the needle for me!



The machine sewing goes quickly.


Dresses need shorts to go underneath them.


Here's the final product.

No comments:

Post a Comment