Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Magnetic Display Wall

When we first started school I stashed away most of Sparkle's paperwork in a binder threw the rest in the trash. However, I thought it was a shame that she (and I) never got to show off her work. I decided that I needed a way to display school stuff.

I already had a couple of maps and a timeline on the walls. I thought about using picture frames, a railing, lots of little hooks, a Velcro strip, and other possibilities, but nothing seemed to meet my requirements:



  • papers in various sizes

  • papers in both portrait and landscape positions

  • varying number of papers at different times

  • quick and easy to swap out papers

  • eye level for the kids

  • inexpensive


I had toyed with the idea of a magnetic wall when I first heard of magnetic paint, but the price of the paint always deterred me. Finally I decided that it wasn't really more expensive than the alternatives, and it fit the requirements. So, I bought a can of Rustoleum Magnetic primer.

Sparkle even helped paint the wall. The can recommended 2-3 coats of paint. I ended up using five. I planned to use a top coat of paint in the original wall color, but haven't gotten around to it yet, so it looks like a black abyss when there's nothing on it.


I scavenged some clips from a "Velcro Crafts Hanger" kit that I got on clearance. I peeled off the velcro from the back of the clips and replaced it with magnets.


I like these clips because they are transparent and don't detract from the item being hung. They are also inexpensive enough to have enough to hold down all four corners of each piece of paper.



Whenever Sparkle completes some school work nicely, like a spelling sentences, a math worksheet, or a picture, it gets hung up on the wall. I judge which papers are good enough to get hung up, so it doesn't get too littered with stuff. (The girls have the clothespin art gallery for all of their other stuff.) When the wall gets too full, I take down the papers and we begin again.



I'm quite pleased with the result. It isn't pretty, and makes the house scream "homeschooler" but it serves its purpose very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment