Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Worksheets

I use a few workbooks and worksheets with Sparkle. I try not to depend on them, but they are really convenient for some subjects.



Types of Worksheets
The worksheets range in purpose from simple pencil practice, to telling time, to reading comprehension, to critical thinking skills, depending on what I feel like each day. Some involve writing while others can be done by pointing. Someday I'll probably add math drill sheets.

I pull the worksheets for the whole week and put them in a folder. Then, I have everything in one place for the whole week. I am mixing them up so Sparkle will get something different each day.

Cutting the Bindings
Most of the worksheet pages come from books. Some of the books have perforated pages, like "The Complete Book of Time and Money." For books that do not, I have the binding cut off, so that I can lay a single sheet of paper in front of Sparkle at a time. It also makes it easier to pull and organize just the worksheets that I want for a week at a time. I normally abhor defacing a book, but in this case, I figure that the book is consumable, so why not?

Laminating Worksheets
I got some of the popular Kumon workbooks for Sparkle a long time ago (the tracing book, and the first maze book). These workbooks have special paper that is supposed to stand up to repeated erasing. However, I got tired of all the erasing. Putting the pages in sheet protectors didn't work because the plastic sleeve wasn't sturdy enough for a young kindergartner. So, I laminated the worksheets. Laminating them was easy with my home laminater.

The next hurdle was how to write on the laminated worksheet. Two popular methods of writing on laminated paper are dry erase and wet erase markers. Neither worked for me, as they would smear when Sparkle accidentally (or not so accidentally) brushed against them. Even the wet erase didn't dry fast enough. I also tried China markers, but Sparkle pressed so hard that after repeated erasing, the surface became cloudy. When I tried erasable crayon, I liked the effect, and it wiped cleaner than the China marker, but it was difficult for Sparkle to press hard enough to get a consistent line, and the line was too fat. Then I went through a Sharpie permanent marker phase. Those worked well as they dried instantly and I could erase them with rubbing alcohol. However, Sparkle couldn't erase her own mistakes by herself. Then recently, I went back to China Markers, and Sparkle now has enough control to use a light line that is easy for both of us to erase. Oh, and when Glitter demands to do Kumon worksheets too, I have her use a washable crayon.

Pacing Worksheets
Most of the worksheets that I give Sparkle are part of a series of gradually increasing difficulty. I find that Sparkle's abilities don't always grow at the same pace as the worksheets.

If a worksheet is too easy, she flies through it, and often ask for another if it is colorful enough. That's an easy situation to deal with. I might give her another one if I want to get through the series. Or, I might save that worksheet as a treat after she's done a more difficult worksheet.

If the worksheet is just right, she works diligently on it, and usually gets it correct, with only one or two erasures. I always go over her finished work with her and have her correct any mistakes.

If the worksheet is too hard, she balks and complains and dawdles. I try to avoid this situation, but sometimes it just happens. I'll try to help her think through the worksheet and give her more coaching than usual. I might also have her do only half of the worksheet. I might have her repeat the same worksheet for several days, if it will get easier with practice. I also might try to see how I can slow down the pacing of the worksheets by supplementing them with something slower or by spacing out when I give her worksheets from that particular book.

No comments:

Post a Comment