Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Potstickers for Chinese New Year

A few years ago a friend gave me the book "Mao's Last Dancer" by Li Cunxin. In a very minor part of the book, the lead character visits a friend's home every weekend and they make and eat potstickers. The book made me really hungry for potstickers. I couldn't find any at an affordable price in my normal grocery stores, so I found a recipe and tried making them. I found that the ingredients are fairly inexpensive. However, making them is very labor intensive, so I don't do it very often. This past weekend I made some for Chinese New Year.

I didn't get any pictures of me making the dough for the wrappers. I mix the dough in the KitchenAid, first using the whisk, and then switching to the dough hook. I use a pasta roller and a circular cookie cutter. The result is a rather chewy wrapper that I like. It has to be used immediately, though.

Here I am filling some wrappers.


Here is a row of potstickers ready to be cooked. I have to remind Sparkle that they are not ready yet and contain raw meat.


Here are some in the frying pan. (Incidentally, I got this frying pan many years ago specifically because I wanted a pan to make potstickers. It gets much use in other cooking, but that was the original reason for the purchase.)


Here they are on their sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment